I have been writing about Linkedin a lot here on this blog as well as on my career advice blog. In fact, I was originally going to write this post for my career blog but I did not want my competition to learn about it. You will see why after I explain this.
Everyone that I know who does business online or offline has a desire to rank well in Google and other search engines. A tremendous amount of time and money is spent trying to get ranked high for your keywords. I am going to share with you a trick technique that will help you rank at the top of the heap for your chosen keywords on Linkedin.
Just think about the amount of potential business you can gain from Linkedin if you were among the first profiles that were displayed when someone went searching keywords like:
- Social Media Consultant
- Business Blogging Consultant
- Freelance Writer
- Website Designer
- Logo Designer
- Resume Writer
You get the idea…and you can not use this technique with the keyword “resume writer” I already own that
Ok, here is what you do.
- Search for the keyword(s) you want to be found by
- Adjust view to sort by keywords and expanded
- Count how many keywords you find in the top ranked profile
- You know have the knowledge you need (I bet you didn’t think it would be this easy )
- Edit your profile and make sure you exceed the amount of keywords as the top ranked profile in each section. Current and Past Experience hold a lot of weight. Be sure to include your keywords in the skills and education section as well
- Make sure you have a least a couple of recommendations for jobs that have your keywords in the title.
That is all there is to it. Seriously, this is the easiest and most powerful technique that I have discovered to optimize your profile to get you to the top of the Linkedin search results.
Take a look at who comes up first in Linkedin for the popular keyword “resume writer”
The proof is in the pudding
I would love to hear from you in the comments. Let me know if this technique worked for you?